Following the end of World War 1, many groups pushed for the
widespread adoption of radio communications despite strong government
resistance. In Australia, these groups initially included people who were remote
from telephones and the telegraph systems of the day.
This view shows the fully restored transceiver. The original brown cabinet was resprayed a hammertone green colour and looks new again.
One pioneer, the Rev. John Flynn oversaw the development of
radio communications for what was to become the Royal Flying Doctor Service. The
first of his innovative pedal-powered radios came into use in 1929 and used
several shortwave frequencies. Fishing trawlers also started using radio
communications at about this time.
Early radio transceivers were quite bulky but as World War II
approached, a number of "compact" transceivers were developed for the Flying
Doctor Service, rural fire brigades, small aircraft, fishing vessels, forestry
and farming groups, and surveyors and government departments. However, the
number of sets produced during this period was not large as the government was
still reluctant to licence radio communications services and placed many
obstacles in the way of those wishing to use this medium.
In addition, suitable radio transceivers were expensive to
produce, were still relatively bulky and were nowhere near as effective as
communications equipment is today.
After being exposed to HF radio communications during WWII,
many returned servicemen could see the value of HF communications in
time. As a result, radio communications began to rapidly expand in the
civilian sector and a number of companies produced suitable equipment to meet
the demand. One such company was Pye-Electronics Pty Ltd, which included
Electronic Industries Ltd and Radio Corporation (Astor).