Features & Specifications
A compact yet flexible test set for most common discrete semiconductor devices, including diodes (junction and Schottky), LEDs, zeners, diacs, bipolar junction transistors (BJTs), Mosfets, SCRs and thyristors (including Triacs). Based on a PIC16F877A microcontroller, with device and test selection, plus the test results, displayed via a 16x2 alphanumeric LCD readout. Devices to be tested are connected to the test set via an 18-way ZIF socket.
Five test voltages are available: a 600V source for avalanche breakdown (BV) testing plus a choice of either 10V, 25V, 50V or 100V for operating voltage (OPV) tests. All test voltages are applied to the DUT via current limiting resistors – 100kΩ in the case of BV tests or 2kΩ in the case of OPV tests.
Maximum avalanche current which can flow during BV tests is 6mA (short circuit current).
Maximum device/leakage current which can flow with OPV = 100V is 30mA; with OPV = 50V is 25mA; with OPV = 25V is 12.5mA; and with OPV = 10V is 6mA.
Minimum leakage current which can be measured = 1μA.
(1) Reverse avalanche current IR (BV)
(2) Reverse leakage current IR (OPV)
(3) Forward voltage drop VF (OPV)
(4) Zener/avalanche voltage VR (BV)
(1) Reverse leakage current IR (OPV = 10V)
(2) Forward voltage drop VF (OPV)
(1) Breakdown voltage C-B with emitter o/c V(BR)CBO
(2) Breakdown voltage C-E with base o/c V(BR)CEO
(3) Leakage current C-B with emitter o/c ICBO (OPV)
(4) Leakage current C-E with base o/c ICEO (OPV)
(5) Forward current gain hFE with a choice of three base current levels: 20μA, 100μA or 500μA
Maximum hFE which can be measured with IB = 20μA is 1500 (OPV = 100V)
Maximum hFE which can be measured with IB = 100μA is 300 (OPV = 100V)
Maximum hFE which can be measured with IB = 500μA is 60 (OPV = 100V)
(1) Breakdown voltage D-S with G-S shorted V(BR)DSS
(2) Leakage current D-S with G-S shorted IDSS (OPV)
(3) D-S current IDS versus G-S bias voltage VGS (ie, gm)
SCR, PUT & Triac tests
(1) Breakdown voltage with G-K (SCR) or G-A (PUT) shorted V(BR)AKS
(2) Leakage current with G-K (SCR) or G-A (PUT) shorted IAKS (OPV)
(3) Current IAKS with gate current applied (20μA, 100μA or 500μA) and OPV applied
(4) Voltage drop A-K when conducting VAK (OPV)
Note: the test set operates from an external power source of 12V DC. Current drain varies from around 65mA when a test is being set up, to a maximum of approximately 900mA during testing. It can therefore be powered from either a 12V SLA battery or a 12V/1A mains power supply or regulated DC plugpack.